We do not sell rooms, We create Experiences
+91 9051200800
info@barikothi.com
logo

History

border-2
Murshidabad originally called Makhsudabad in the 16th century lies on the eastern side of Bhagirathi River and was founded by the Mughal emperor Akbar. Later in the 17th century when Murshid Quli Khan became the diwan, he renamed the town after his name, as Murshidabad.

Soon, the economic growth of the city attracted the British, French, Dutch and Danish companies to come and set up factories and head offices around the city. Consequently, Murshidabad mint became the largest in Bengal and important administrative buildings, palaces, mosques and temples were built.


Murshidabad was at its peak until 1757 when the Nawab of Bengal, Siraj-ud-Daulah was defeated in the Battle of Plassey against the Britishers. Despite getting assurance from the French troupe, the Nawab was betrayed by his own commander Mir Jafar and a wealthy Jain merchant Jagat Seth who had secretly joined hands with the Britishers. The battle consolidated the Company's presence in Bengal, which later expanded to cover much of India over the next hundred years.

People from Murshidabad region were actively involved in the Swadeshi and Quit India Movement. Leaders such as Subhas Chandra Bose and Kazi Nazrul Islam were imprisoned in Berhampore, WB. It also laid the foundation of the Hindu-Muslim Unity Association in 1937.
History